Thursday, January 18, 2018

BUCKET LIST (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



In six days, one of my dreams will come true.  Many years ago I visited Nepal and during that trip, we drove to a bridge that had Chinese armed guards at the other end.  We could look into Tibet, but if we even approached the bridge, the guards came running.  I vowed that day that someday I WOULD VISIT TIBET!
In a few days, my husband, my daughter, my grandson, Truman and I will board a plane for China for 10 days and then on to Tibet for 9 more.  It’s the trip of a lifetime for me, made even more special since I’ll be with my family.
As for Truman, though he didn’t need a passport and visa, we’ve gotten him his own special travel case, complete with handle, shoulder strap, and ID tag.  He’s a bit anxious about flying for 12 hours, handling a 15 hour time change, and being around all that hot Szechuan food, but he’s a gamer and ready to go.
This trip is actually a photo tour/workshop for my honey, but our guide/instructor, William, says he’s happy to have non-photographers with the group, especially since I’ve managed to convince him that I can write.  He’s envisioned a trip journal from us, but then he hasn’t met Truman as yet.  Not sure how he’ll handle my little buddy with his own name and personality.
Another cool thing about this trip is the fact that we’ll have a private bus for our travels, which will be within easy reach at all times.  Bottom line here is that Jim won’t have to carry all of his gear, all of the time, and I won’t have to do much except be sure that Truman is at hand.  No 25 pound gear packs for me this time – or at least I don’t think so…
We’ve gotten our itinerary charted on a map, have studied some essential Chinese words, have read up on customs when visiting Buddhist monasteries, and packed everything we could possible need (I hope).  Truman and I and the gang are off on the adventure of a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear Truman's perspective of it all 😄 and glad he survived the combat intact. I still haven't begun processing yet but maybe this stroll down memory lane will spur me on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted so badly to go on this tour - Tibet has been a dream of mine for the longest time. William is offering some reaply beautiful tours; hopefully I'll be able to join one soon.

    ReplyDelete