Saturday, January 20, 2018

CHANGE IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



Last time I wrote, Truman (the tripod), my spouse Jim, and I, having changed our mind about going to the Antarctic, were planning a new trip to Eastern Europe.  We hadn’t actually put down the deposit, but I did buy a travel guide which covered the majority of places we’d travel.  Oddly, I hadn’t yet opened it.
Perhaps it’s also telling that we hadn’t sent in the money, since it made things easier when, early this morning, I heard Jim calling me to look at his computer screen.  On it I saw the most beautiful picture of The Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet.  Now Jim knows that Tibet has been on my bucket list ever since my former spouse and I traveled through Nepal to the Tibetan border.  At that time, it was closed to virtually everyone by means of a sturdy gate and armed guards everywhere we looked.
When Jim explained that he’d found a photo tour to the Tibetan Plateau and parts of China, I never even asked a question except – “How do we sign up?”  We spent about an hour of his work-time reading through the website, checking out the photographer guide, examining the testimonials, and looking at each other, each sporting a wide grin. 
PayPal was quick to handle our deposit, and we began our correspondence with the photographer who will lead the trip.  He seems pretty nice, and funny, and accepting of a trip member who will not take pictures, but rather write slightly funny, hopefully entertaining stories of the adventure.  But the story doesn’t end there…
As we talked throughout the day, Jim kept bringing up the hike that he and our 14-year old grandson had taken last week.  Jim bought Evan a small Nikon camera last year, and he’s used it sporadically but not seriously.  On the hike, Evan had expressed his desire to begin taking pictures and learning how to use his camera more effectively.  To say that his words were music to Jim’s ears would be an understatement of great magnitude.  He’s been waiting for this time, and with that in mind, we began the conversation regarding a family trip for us, grandson Evan, and our daughter, Shannan. 
This evening, we paid them a visit and invited them to join us next summer on our new adventure.  When we got home, we sent in their deposit to go with ours, and I’ve already changed my screen-saver to the picture I took of the Tibetan border, those many years ago. 
Conversation about how we’ll do at altitude was brief, since we all did OK last year in Quito at 9,000 feet, and did some hiking at 13,000 feet on the way to the Amazon Basin.  We’ll be there in the summer, when the temperatures are relatively moderate so gear is no problem.  Come to think of it, this trip will be easy when it comes to prep, except for all the books I’ll be reading between now and then.
Somehow, I think Truman will understand our vacillation since, next summer, we’re all going to a place of our dreams.  I’m pretty sure that the change to this trip will be good for our souls.

1 comment:

  1. How did you feel hiking at 13,000 ft? I was lucky and was selected as a cancellation fill in for a Kamaaina tour of a couple of observatories atop Maunakea, HI. They are at about 14,000 ft. I walked and felt like I was drunk, but otherwise no problems.

    ReplyDelete