Sunday, January 21, 2018

WHERE TO GO??? (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



Going through a gear list for a major photography trip is a bit daunting.  Jim and I had decided a few months ago to join an expedition to The Falklands and South Georgia Island to shoot penguins, fur seals, albatross, and the lovely scenery.  As we studied the gear list, we noted that we should probably have a case for Truman (the tripod), along with special boots, warm layers, heavy gloves, first aid gear, quick-drying undies, and on and on.

Ever the dutiful wife, I compiled lists of what we needed and slowly began accumulating, always mindful of the fact that our bag couldn’t weigh more than 50 pounds.   Ever weigh heavy winter gear?  It’s a bit daunting staying within the measly 50 pound weight limit.

Somewhere along the way, we’ve learned the trick of the photography vest, which means that we wear them on the plane, stuffed with photo gear, lenses, etc.  What that means is that, although our bags are OK, each of us weighs around 200 pounds fully clothed.  I don’t really want to think of that in terms of getting on a scale but fortunately, the weight is easily shed.

Being a fairly voracious reader, I’ve been reading all about Shackleton, Antarctica, South Georgia, flora and fauna of the South Pacific, and anything else I can get in my hands.

Just last week, Jim sat me down for “a talk,” which as every wife knows, is never a good sign.  It occurred as I was sitting at my computer, trying to learn how to distinguish the various penguin breeds.  At the end of the talk, I was printing out the receipt for the fabulous waterproof, insulated, and very stylish heavy winter coat that REI just had to sell to me, so I could return it.

Jim is very adventurous, but also very practical and after much pondering he’d come to the conclusion that there might be a limited market for penguin pictures.  In his researching he’d come across a photography trip that he thought might be more to his liking, while giving him some skills in photography which he felt were lacking. 

What does all this mean for Truman and me?  It means that I’ll be returning my coat and instead, we’ll be heading to Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Tatras, Krakow, Warsaw, St. Petersburg and Moscow.  Did I mention that I didn’t argue too much?

One good thing for Truman was the arrival in the mail yesterday of his new, fancy traveling togs – a pretty cool case with carrying strap and cool pockets.  Wonder what I can stuff in those?

No comments:

Post a Comment