Wednesday, January 24, 2018

HOW GRAND IS THE CANYON? (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



A few weeks ago Jim, my photo-guy and I visited with a long-lost high school friend of his in Arizona.  Descended upon might be the better definition, since we showed up with luggage and every camera, lens, and gadget Jim owns, along with Truman, the tripod, of course.  Jim hadn’t been in touch with his friend for years, and a week-long visit with near strangers made me a bit nervous, but as it turned out, we had a wonderful visit and made some fabulous new friends.
We’d visited Arizona before, even got to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, but our new/old friends planned an itinerary that blew our minds.  Not only were we in for a day at the canyon, but we took in Sedona, Jerome, the Desert Botanical Garden, The Museum of Music, and had a cruise on Lake Pleasant.  Now I only have to worry about what we’ll do when they visit us in Washington.  They’re a tough act to follow!
But back to the Canyon.  We didn’t have the greatest weather; in fact, we actually had snow falling on us for the part of the day.  No worries, since Jim and I are Alaskans by nature, and cold weather is our preference.  The views into the canyon were somewhat obscured by clouds and gray skies, but with Truman for support, Jim got some great shots – in fact more than 400. 
How does one write about a natural wonder that’s been described in millions of words?  To say it’s breathtaking is just not sufficient.  As we worked our way along the rim, we realized that words, pictures, breathing just doesn’t come close to sharing the grandeur, the scale, the scope of this magnificent place.
So on to the gift shop – a natural segue to the next phase of our journey.  In browsing among the native artifacts, paintings, photographs, knickknacks, maps, etc., I happened to spy a book that seemed to call to me like a siren’s song.  I’m an avid reader of non-fiction like biographies and histories, but surely this title, “Over the Edge:  Death in Grand Canyon,” didn’t fit those categories.  After visiting several shops, I found myself drawn again to that compelling title and after much hemming and hawing, I bought the thing.  It’s big (591 pages) and heavy (1 lb. 13.2 oz.) but I fit it in my suitcase and brought it home.  Never did I imagine that there are so many ways to die in a huge gap in the ground!
When Truman and Jim took an evening stroll along the rim, I opted to stay warm, but his description of what happened next made me thrilled to know that he wouldn’t be a topic in the revised version of the above-mentioned book.  It seems that he was using an ND filter for his lens in gusty conditions and next thing he knew, said filter flew from the wall in front of him, to the shelf beyond the wall.  I think he underplayed the gasps of dismay emitted by the visitors near him, as he climbed over the wall to retrieve the case.  His explanation sounded a lot like – “no problem; the shelf was stable and I had Truman to steady me.”
What can I say?  I’m glad I wasn’t there; I’m happy that I wasn’t the shrewish wife yelling that her spouse had lost his mind; I’m pleased that Truman is now considered my hero; actually I never had a doubt that he would be OK since he’s extremely cautious around danger.   The bottom line is that we moved on to our next adventure, slightly more solicitous of Truman and the role he plays in our never-dull lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment