Thursday, January 25, 2018

MY TRIPOD HAS A FIRST NAME (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



Remember the jingle: “My bologna has a first name,  it’s O S C A R……..”  Somehow when that jingle jumped into my mind the other day, it occurred to me that if bologna can have a name, certainly my trusty nameless tripod deserves nothing less.  But where to begin?
The latest outing for “nameless” involved a gale, a rain storm, and the largest container ship in the world.  We drove down to the water today to watch as the CMA CGM Benjamin Franklin cruised by, filled to the brim with 18,000 containers on its 1,310’ length.  I’ve read that it’s the largest ship to ever visit a US port and watching it glide by, I believed it.  Normally naming a ship involves famous people and champagne, and is full of ceremony.  It probably doesn’t happen on a remote beach, with wind and rain in your face, and people standing around watching a big ship go by. 
Perhaps naming a tripod shouldn’t stand on ceremony, but I really think it deserves some serious consideration.  After all, this tripod, though it was born with the name “Manfrotto” which suggests perhaps an Italian heritage, has permanently adapted to its American roots.  It’s been with me all over the Olympic Peninsula in Washington, throughout Alaska, down the Alaska Highway from Anchorage to Sequim, WA, up and down the US west coast, detouring to the Galapagos and Ecuador, to Maine and the US northeast coast, and to various points in between.  We hardly leave the house without our trusty tripod in the back seat, in the suitcase, hooked to the backpack, or in my hot little hands.  Occasionally his cousin, monopod, goes along, but tripod is our go-to guy, always ready for an adventure.  To say he’s part of the family might be a stretch, but as I sit here, I’m looking at him standing in the corner of the living room, just waiting for his legs to be lowered, his head steadied, and to be lifted into whatever container will get him to where he’s going.  As I write, I realize that tripod must be of the male gender, though how I’ve come to that conclusion I’m not certain.  Instinct, I guess.
Since tripod accommodates himself to my spouse’s Nikon cameras, perhaps Nik would work.  But then that might be considered biased, and I have a feeling that, given the chance, he’d be an equal-opportunity tripod.  My favorite male name is Sean, meant to be the name of my first son, except I had a girl, and back then, Sean was not a girl’s name.  Nah!
When we were dog mushing, I named my two wheel dogs Rough and Ready, and they were definitely both.  Jim’s lead dog was Churchill, based on his attitude, while mine on occasion was Climber, because he could climb a fence.  Not sure those work either.  My favorite pet was a Saint Bernard named Curly, but tripod is a bit smaller, lighter, and slimmer than Curly so no go there. 
Seems like the path of least resistance is to seek out a “T” name, and I begin by researching the meaning of boy’s names that begin with “t.”  There are hundreds of choices but after spending some otherwise free time reading through many, many names, one stops me in my tracks when I read the meaning which is “SPEAR OF STRENGTH.”  Now how can you top that?  When I think of all the mud, sand, dust, steep hills, deep gorges, running water that tripod has seen me through, I realize that he truly is a spear of strength, not to mention he’s pretty good at holding a camera. 
So it with great pleasure that I introduce you to my ever-faithful, always-prepared, three-legged buddy – TRUMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment