Friday, January 26, 2018

TRIPOD ON LAVA (Confessions of a Photographer's Wife)



Galapagos is truly a world unto itself.  Leaving there is another matter entirely.  We started from Isabela Island on an open-air bus, then to a water taxi… but wait, let’s do this like the computer wizards of today do it:

Open-air bus>Water Taxi>Charter Boat>Water Taxi>Foot>Bus>Ferry>Bus>Airplane>Bus>Foot>Bus>Hotel

            Beginning at 6 a.m. and ending at 6 p.m., count them>>>> 12 different modes of transportation to get from a simple island to the mainland.  And I might mention that during this time, I’m carrying my backpack and the trusty tripod.  (I really MUST name him!)
            Was it worth it?  Oh my, YES!!!  During our stay on Isabela and Santa Cruz, we had close encounters with marine iguanas, Galapagos tortoises, saddle-backed tortoises, Darwin’s finches, Galapagos mockingbirds, brown pelicans, flamingos, sea lions, land iguanas, frigate birds, and my personal favorite – the blue-footed booby.
            Isabela reminds me of a moon-scape with fields of A’A lava everywhere you look.  During one of our excursions, we encountered a stack of marine iguanas, and I do mean stack.  They were piled atop each other for the sole purpose, we were told, of getting warm after a swim in the surf.  In a close up picture courtesy of my spouse and Tripod, they really look like Mesozoic/Jurassic creatures, with spines down their backs, long toe nails, and white heads courtesy of their unsavory habit of spitting out the salt they extract from being waterlogged after they swim.
            Following my honey around proved to be interesting since lava doesn’t really lend itself to being the perfect platform for three tripod legs.  More than once I heard a strange utterance coming from his mouth, but I chalked it up to his attempt to grasp Spanish.
            This trip to Galapagos resulted from my grandson’s interest in turtles when he was 4 years old.  We began showing him pictures of the Galapagos tortoise and told him that someday we’d take him to see them for real.  Last year, when he was 12, he sat me down, reminded me of our promise, and looking me straight in the eye, uttered the prophetic words, “You know, JoJo, I’m not getting any younger.”           
            A direct result was our doing our research and booking a trip for 4 (including his mother) with REI Travel for an Amazon Basin and Galapagos Islands Family Adventure.  The trip included river rafting, kayaking, hiking, biking and snorkeling and didn’t sound too terribly strenuous.   But then again, I’ve never spent time above 9,000 feet, or in the Amazon rainforest, or hiking up lava fields, or scaling a volcano – but yes, I did some of that in Hawaii.
            Our guide, Miguel, opened his eyes wide when he noted my darling spouse’s  camera gear, but I think he’s seen this before and he only chuckled slightly when he saw me raise the tripod to my shoulder as we loaded the bus for our trip over a 13,000 foot Andes pass to Rio Jatunyacu, a Class III river. 
            Thankfully, the tripod stayed in the bus that time, but it accompanied us on most of our remaining adventures, especially as we explored the rainforest from our lovely little lodge strangely named Hakuna Matata.  Now I love the song of that name taken from the Disney movie, “The Lion King” which was set in Africa, and I’m not sure of the connection to Ecuador, but the lodge is really a neat spot, and we enjoy the torrential downpour during the night which results in a river of water sluicing down the trail to the dining room.  Wonder what’s next?

No comments:

Post a Comment